Although sleep apnea seems like an issue that affects people only at rest, its negative effects seep into your entire day, ultimately impacting your work, social life, and mood. While many treatments for sleep apnea exist, staying fit is a solution that is free and available to every person suffering from sleep woes. Explore the ways that a daily exercise habit can eliminate many of the symptoms of sleep apnea while improving life for patients who suffer from it.
The Benefits of Exercise for Sleep Apnea Patients
There’s a strong connection between regular exercise and the major improvements it has for sleep apnea sufferers. The numerous benefits are strongest among those who participate in a program of aerobic exercise on a daily basis. These advantages range from controlling particular sleep symptoms to curbing obesity, which is also a common problem among sleep apnea sufferers. Here are five of the most notable advantages of exercise:
1. Increased Muscle Tone in the Upper Airway
2. Increases in Slow Wave Sleep
3. Reduces Daytime Sleepiness
4. Reduced Severity of Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) Symptoms
5. Reduced Fluid-Accumulation in the Neck
What is the Key Takeaway?
The most important fact to take away from the benefits of exercise for sleep apnea patients is that cardiovascular exercise plays an active role in improving symptoms. From dulling the severity of symptoms to reducing tangible problems like daytime fatigue, sleep apnea is much easier to manage when accompanied by a fitness plan.
Implementing Daily Exercise Into Your Routine
In addition to decreasing obesity, regular exercise is an excellent way to control your sleep apnea. If you’ve never had a workout routine in your life, starting can be intimidating. Fortunately, there are many ways to make fitness a regular part of your life, and many of them are convenient and affordable.
- Go for regular walks around your neighborhood at increasing distances
- Try some of the hiking trails in your area
- Watch a video online on how to do effective workouts
- Find a friend to workout or walk with and hold each other accountable
- Pick a sport to participate in and train for it regularly
Ways to Get Exercise at a Low Cost
- Hire a coach or personal trainer to help you workout regularly
- Join a local gym and request instructions from in-house trainers
- Purchase fitness equipment for your home and commit to using it
- Sign up for complimentary first-time classes such as yoga, Pilates, or CrossFit to see if it’s something you enjoy
Live a Fit & Active Lifestyle to Overcome Your Sleep Apnea
Whether you do it for the extra energy, to lose weight, or to increase your balance skills, leading an active life is the best way you can correct sleep apnea. No matter how you accomplish daily exercise, the effects will play a major role in minimizing your sleep apnea symptoms. When you’re ready for life-changing sleep apnea treatment, don’t hesitate to contact Dr. Lauck at our North Texas Sleep Solutions office in Keller, TX. We can help restore your ability to sleep.